Wednesday, July 25, 2012

WiP Wednesday: Mostly Mario

 After getting my fabric in the mail on Thursday I started my Mario Quilt Along.  I'm so excited for this one that Angela from Cut to Pieces is hosting.   It's postage stamp style with 1" finished squares in an 18" square grid.  This week I also finished up Week 2 of the Tetris Quilt-a-long hosted by Melissa at Happy Quilting.  That all combined with a family camping trip has made this a fun but busy week.  I'm linking up to WiP Wednesday over at Freshly Pieced where Colleen from The Busy Bean is the guest blogger this week. 

 Here's my progress thus far...
When I first heard of the Mario Quilt Along I instantly thought of this little man.  This is my oldest child and he just adores Mario.  See the cute shirt?  Proof of his love.  His sisters both got a new twin-size quilt this year and it was his turn.

We're working with Michael Miller Cotton Couture and it's so yummy!  I love the feel of it and I could just handle it all day long.  Which I guess is a good thing because these blocks take a chunk of time.

Since I was waiting on my fabric I got a week behind.  This is all the squares I need to make a Mario and Luigi block.  There are 344 just light blue ones all at 1.5" square.  Yeah, that took a while.

I printed off the grid with picture and proceeded to lay out the block on the rug in my craft room.  Seriously need a design wall or something for this!  It looks so fun all ready to sew together.  Too bad this is where my chair needs to be and there was nowhere else to do it.  I had to pick up all the pieces stacked by rows and now sew those together.

I've got five rows done the length of the block.  I'm chain piecing them all but living the threads connected so it's all basically one big piece.  When I'm done building the rows then I'll fold them over and sew them together.  It's actually surprisingly fast but I haven't had the time this week to get as much done as I want to.  I need to get cracking on it because remember the squares from two pictures up?  They're taking up my cut table and very vulnerable to tiny hands.

This week I also completed block two of six for my Tetris Quilt-A-Long (see the full post here).  I'm loving this project!  It is so fun and FAST!  I will be making this quilt again but slightly different I just don't know when yet.
 Well, that's about it for today.  I did some spray basting for the first time today but I'll write up a post about that tomorrow, it's too involved for a WiP Wednesday post and deserves it own since it was a new experience.  Hopefully I get both the Mario and Luigi blocks done this week as well as a bit of quilting.  Here's to another great week and thanks for stopping by!  

1 comment:

  1. You're so brave! Love the Mario, but I'm sure I'd mess it up!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!