Wednesday, November 27, 2013

WiP Wednesday: Nearly There

I had a very productive and quite busy week but I don't have a lot to show for it. Some things just don't lend well to pictures. I finished quilting on my DWR variation quilt. It's currently nine degrees outside so you'll just get a preview. I also attempted a penguin hat... more about that later. I'm linking up with Freshly Pieced.

Here's a preview of my quilting. Holy cow!! I used 16 bobbins just for the quilting and it took me all of my free-time, and a lot of borrowed time, to finish it. In the inside of the flowers I did a meander but on the outside I did echo quilting every 1/4" or so. It was SO worth it! I just have to clip threads and bind then I'll do a big reveal post. It is due on Saturday night so expect a post no later than then.

I hate trying new crochet hat patterns. The uncertainty of whether or not it is tested and if it is going to be true to size is quite frustrating. I usually work with one or two bases that I love then build the hat, if it is a character, off of those. Well, I didn't this time and the hat is HUGE! It's too big for my head and meant for my sweet seven year-old girl. I'm also not a fan of the double crochet with how loose it is. Now I must unravel the whole thing and start over with a base I typically use. Grrr. Good thing it's just a hat and they are quick!
 Well, that's it for this week. The quilt was a beast and took up all my time. I can't wait to get it finished and have a big reveal. As an added bonus it's going to warm up (relative here) and my hubby might actually hold it up for me if it is at least in the double digits outside. Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

  1. I love the quilting! I know all about wanting to try a hat on a model to see if things need adjusting, my daughters friend wants one for her baby and am leary of making because I don't have a baby here to try on. ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sixteen bobbins--I believe it! My first real quilt was a queen with an all over stipple and I still remember it took about 15 bobbins! I'm up to 7 (very full) bobbins on my current quilt...will probably use another 7 or more yet! Can't wait to see the whole quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that red and white. I know just what you mean about hats. You have to get such a long way before you can tell if ti will fit. I've just knitted three versions of a hat and it is still to small. Number 4 should fit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to the big reveal. At least with crochet it rips out quickly!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!