Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Tetris Quilt-A-Long - Week 6 amd Top Finish

 It's the sixth and final block week for the Tetris Quilt-A-Long and I'm on fire!  Not only did I finish the block for this week but I also finished the whole top added borders with a fun twist.  I owe a big thank you to Melissa at Happy Quilting for not only putting on the quilt-a-long but also the charm swap that gave me most of my fabric.  Read on for the full story!

Here's the drawing portion of week 6.  I didn't have any carryover from the block below it so I just used the pieces she gave me and went with it.  I noticed last week I was short on fabric to finish the block but I didn't know what colors Melissa would use so I waited until this week to cut the extra.  I needed four of each: green, red, blue, and pink.  Apparently I'm too good at Tetris for the charm swap. *wink*

Here's the fabric version of week six.  The red, green, pink, and blue on the bottom are all from my stash.  The pink ones were already cut out.

After I finished the last block I was excited to put my border plan into action.  A few weeks ago I had this idea where I wouldn't just use the plain border suggested.  Instead I decided to make it a bit more like the game.

On the top I used my extra white squares as well as twelve from my stash to continue on the border.  They are the same 5" size squares just more of them.  I carried over the pieces that didn't get finished by the last two blocks into the top.  This took care of the top and bottom borders.  To make up for the side borders I added a bunch of gray with one red piece in the middle.  I wanted it to look like the preview of the next piece that you see in the game.  Now that I had my idea all drawn out it was time to plop it together.

I added three rows to my week 5 block which included the yellow piece that made it game over hitting the top line.

Then I added the three rows to my week six piece that I made today.

Finally I sewed up and attached the side gray border with the red piece and it was all done!  My handsome hubby and smallest munchkins helped hold it up for a picture.

Here they are peeking out.  Cute!
 I plan on spray basting it today then quilting it with perle cotton in dark gray by outlining each Tetris piece.  I'm pretty excited and can't wait to see how it all turns out!  To see my other blocks check out the posts for week 5, week 4, week 3, week 2, and week 1.

To see how other people are getting along check out the linky at the bottom of this post or the flickr group.

Thanks for stopping by!

8 comments:

  1. Looks great! I love the side border you did! I am amazed how much work you got done on it today! Off to go finish my week 6 blocks and maybe a few more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! It looks awesome all together!!! Love the way you did the border :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This truly looks like a tetris game. Love the game piece on the side. Very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks great! I love the idea of adding extra rows at the top

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great idea for the border. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously, I just love how you added the white space to the top. What a great way to finish it up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great finish! Love your little helpers too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice. Great idea to finish off the whole quilt with the side panel and extra shape plus the white up top.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!