Friday, December 6, 2013

T-Shirt Quilt Finish

Well, that was quick! I more or less started this quilt on Tuesday and here it is Friday and it is finished!! I cut the shirts into 12.5" squares. I happen to have a square ruler that size and it was really easy and so fast!! Some of the shirts, the middle row, were too long to do that way and they are 12.5" by 15.5." I ironed on interfacing to the back and then re-cut them all. Then I sewed them together, basted, quilted, and bound it all up. I kept a time log with this one because I was curious. Start to finish for this twin-size quilt was 13.5 hours of work.

This was my goal for ALYOF for December. (post here)  I am amazed I finished it so quickly! I was just hoping to get it done my Christmas but my awesome hubby gave me a lot of sewing time to get it done in a hurry. This quilt was doing double duty as it was also on my Q4 FAL list found here or on my side bar.

Update: It is now the end of the month and I'm linking this post up with the finishes here.

Here's the finished product! It's so fun! I worked for a while to get the color distribution just how I wanted it and I love how it looks.

My friend picked out this fun polk-a-dot binding and it looks great with the shirts. I was surprised at how well it matched and coordinated with so many of them. I quilted it using a zigzag stitch on all the horizontal and vertical seams. I think it makes it more sturdy and adds to the collage feel. As a side note I didn't notice how horribly crooked that seam looks in the picture. It's just the uneven grass, I promise.

Since this quilt is obviously all about the front side we went with a gray solid for the back side. It matches the binding really well.

So as payment for this quilt my friend and I exchanged services. I love jewelry but am not really set up to make my own. So, I made her a quilt and she gave me this giant collection. There were actually six more pieces but I gave them away as presents before I took the picture. We both walked away happy with this deal. See something you like? You can buy here stuff at her Etsy shop here. She's even running a sale right now!!
Phew for another finish! I'm linking up with Finish It Up Friday and TGIFF!

9 comments:

  1. That is a great quilt and finish! I like the swap! Very nice. Good idea to keep a time log.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have committed to a t-shirt quilt graduation present for my nephew - glad to know it can be relatively easily done! How did you quilt yours?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie - this looks AMAZING!!! I'm so excited! You do wonderful work and I'm so glad a professional quilter (YOU!) did the work. Love it and love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely t-shirt quilt! Wow that is record time in quilt making. I wonder if I can get close to the same. I am in the process of making a baseball t-shirt quilt. I have the shirts cut out and should be fusing the stabilizer now but tomorrow morning is looking better. Great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great Julie! I can't believe you finished it so quickly. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! You got a great balance of color :) I would love to do an exchange of services with someone!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought a bolt of interfacing for making a t-shirt quilt. What a nice trade and a treasure for your friend to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love how it looks! and great trade!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!