Tuesday, December 27, 2011

9 Patch Quilts

 These were the third and fourth quilts I ever made.  I don't currently have pictures of the first two so these are the first recorded quilts.  My best friend and I were seniors in high school preparing to go off to college.  The colleges we were applying to had extra long twin beds so I decided to make us quasi-matching quilts that were extra long to fit the beds.  I picked a nine patch patter for both of us tied with ribbons (it was something new I'd seen and wanted to try out).  We each picked out our own fabric but the pattern matched and that was fun.  I went for mostly pastels with fun flowery and very girly prints.  All of her prints were plaids and stars.  We used sheets for the backing so they'd match the sheets we were putting on our beds.

This is my version.  My daughter now uses it on her bed.  I left the ribbons long enough to tie bows with them but she likes them hanging loose and will untie them whenever she sees a tied one so they are just knotted and dangling right now.  Excuse the file boxes under her bed.  They are our food storage and were too full of canned food to move.

This is my friends version with her eldest son loving on it.  He liked to play with the ribbons while sucking his thumb, how cute!  I love that she picked all plaid and star patterns and I think it turned out great!  This is the only picture I have of it but you can see all the different colorways and there is a cute baby loving on it so I think it's just perfect.  Plus, you can see the overall look in my picture.
Update: she sent me a picture of it on a bed.  I just love the fabric choices!

1 comment:

  1. Love it! I will get you a good pic of the quilt as soon as I get back to the States and get it out of storage :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!