Saturday, June 22, 2013

Star Wars R2D2 Quilt

I just adore this quilt! I made it for my cousin after she pinned this quilt as the inspiration. I did basically the same as the pinned one with a few subtle changes and I love how it turned out...

Here's the finished R2D2 quilt. It's about 42" by 45", just perfect for a baby!

The quilt was so fast and easy to put together. I'll run you thought my process. From start to finish it was less than two days of free time.  First I found an image of R2D2 off google I liked, it was hard to narrow it down. Then I printed it off 200% as a poster print so it was the size I needed.

I then traced all the different pieces onto fuseable web to do some raw-edge applique. I made sure to over lap the big pieces about 1/4" to make them more secure.  Here they are all cut out and pressed together.

I then appliqued the R2D2 to the quilt top. I didn't want the top taking away from the awesomeness of the applique so I just used some solid gray. It took a lot of embroidery to make the R2D2 look right but it was worth it.  There is a larger picture a bit further down.

This is the backing fabric for this quilt and might I say that it is just perfect!! I found it at Spoonflower where they actually print your fabric to order. It also comes in yellow and blue.

I also used the pink on the binding and I love it with the gray. I quilted some straight lines every three inches. It was the first time I tried this and I used my chalk pencil to draw the lines. It turned out really well. I avoided the R2D2 with the lines and went back and stitched over all the embroidery to quilt it. I love how it makes him pop more and there is the pattern of him on the back too.

Finally a fabulous closeup of my R2D2, didn't it turn out great!  I love it!!

9 comments:

  1. I love it. It turned out so cute. I know that Jennilyn will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really cool - well done! The simple quilting on the grey is perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! You did a great job with all those pieces and I love the choice of grey too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really cool baby quilt! Someone will be quite lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This made me take a closer look when I clicked on your link from Crazy Mom Quilts!

    COOL,COOL, SEW COOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I please ask what the name of the Star Wars fabric is, I cannot find it for the life of me!! I'm assuming this is from the states? I'm in Aus & just love the fabric!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!