Friday, November 29, 2013

Wedding Flower Quilt FInish

 I finished my Wedding Flower quilt and I'm totally in love with it!! It was crazy fast too. I started cutting it out on Nov. 11th and finished the binding on Nov. 26th. I'm entering this quilt in the modern category of the DWR Challenge arranged by the NYC Metro Mod Quilters.

Here's the finished quilt. I'm in love! It is almost exactly how I pictured it. Originally I wanted five petals per flower but it wasn't working out the way I imagined so I switched to four petals. The inspiration for this one came out of no where. I had just put the kids down to bed and was thinking about trying something with the EZ double wedding ring templates that I've never seen before and I thought... flowers! It took a while longer to figure out the logistics of how I would make it happen and it sure was a fun journey.

Here you can see a closeup of the quilting and the piecing. The quilting was done with Sulky variegated thread with a meander in the center of the flowers and echo quilting on the outside. It took me nearly 16 bobbins and about 1,000 meters of thread. The piecing was so easy! I used the EZ Double Wedding Ring templates and I just adore them!! They made the whole process so fun, quick, and easy!! I have previously made a traditional double wedding ring quilt and I had to hand trace and hand cut each of the over 1,400 pieces. The templates were a dream and I can't wait to use them again!!

I love how the binding is a pop of contrasting color. The teal here perfectly blends with those I used in the quilt. It's so fun and cheery!

The quilt finished up at twin size... roughly 68" x 82"
I had so much fun with this one! Each of my girls has laid a claim on it and it will be hard to decide who gets to use it first! I'm linking up with TGIFF! Thanks for stopping by!

12 comments:

  1. WOW! This is beautiful. Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful finish Julie! I really the quilting. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful!! It's a lovely twist on the DWR. And I think your colours are just perfect :-)
    E xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful, Julie! I love seeing oldies-but-goodies used in a new way. Also love the quilting. So glad you linked up to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You finished it which gives me encouragement to keep plugging away on my Metro Rings quilting! Yippee for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never seen anything like it. What a great quilt, a modern take on an old idea. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! that is such a fresh happy quilt! Im sure your daughters will fight over it for many years to come! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy cow that's a great looking quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just followed your blog! Please come follow us back. Thanks.

    quackadoodlequilt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did you applique the rings on or are they pieced? I love the variegated thread.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It turned out lovely! Love the echo quilting and binding.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!