Friday, June 13, 2014

Finishes: Mine and Hers

My daughter and I both have a finish to share this week! I finished my I-Spy scrappy quilt and she is sharing her pillow she finished a couple of weeks ago. I'm amazed at her FMQing skills. At seven she was so much more confident than I am it was so fun to watch. My I-Spy Scrappy quilt was #3 on my Q2FAL list (goal post here).

Let's start with mine...

It's a slightly odd shape rectangle but my friend really wanted it that way because she has an odd-shaped homemade crib. It finished out at 40.5" by 66" so not bad shape but a little long for the width from what I usually do.

Since the scrappy I-Spy fabric was pretty intense I kept the quilting really simple. I just did straight lines down the vertical seams using a zigzag stitch. I used grey thread and it blends in pretty well on the front while creating a interesting stripe on the back. 

I bound the quilt in the same Kona teal that's on the back side. As always I machine bound it with a zigzag stitch. I really like how this looks and keeps the binding thoroughly stuck down to the quilt.

This is just an artsy picture of the fabric. It was fun to make and use the scraps from my I-Spy quilt.

Now onto my daughters finish. This is a picture heavy bit because she's so adorable I can't stand it!!

Here she is basting it. We spray basted this and she did such a good job making it flat and keeping all the wrinkle out.

Look at my tiny professional! She's got such a great attitude about quilting too. I told her that it might not come out how she pictures in her head or perfect. She said, "Well, I don't draw perfectly and it's still cute so I'm not worried if I don't quilt perfectly." LOVE! I think it's a message we all need.

I couldn't resist this photo of her tongue sticking out. Instead of an allover type of design she opted to create little pictures with the machine. They turned out amazing!

This is her bunny. Isn't it cute?!

This one's a squirrel.

I love the little bird.

These are flowers but are kind of hard to see on the front...

So this is what it looks like on the back side.

She's so proud of her finish. I love it too! If you'd like to see the other post on this click here.

She chose the fabric and the placement all by herself. She did everything on this pillow except the cutting and ironing. It just scares me still to give her hot and sharp things. We're slowly working up to it.

She even made the envelope backing all by herself. I can't believe how good it looks and I'm so excited to have a sewing buddy.
I'm linking up these fun finishes with Fabric Frenzy Friday, TGIFF, and Finish It Up Friday.

10 comments:

  1. The i-shy quilt is too cute, I love all those fabrics. Your daughter's quilting is wonderful, I love the animals. I could totally see the bunny and squirrel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your quilt Julie, but let's face it, the best part of your blog post are those pictures of your daughter! How cute is she? I love that she's applying herself and taking this hobby "seriously" but not taking it too seriously by stressing out over it. Please tell her that I thinkk her pillow is just perfect and that she is a very talented quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thoroughly entranced with your daughter. How wonderful that she is displaying her talent so early and you are able to nurture it! Wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How awesome that you and your daughter can share a hobby! Both of you have done great jobs, well done to your daughter on her FMQ pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How old is your daughter? I love her quilting! And your I Spy quilt is great. I feel like I always see them done with squares and I really liked that you used rectangles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a fun quilt!! It's so awesome that your daughter is so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful! Your quilt looks great- and your daughter is clearly a natural!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! I love all the different fabrics. She did an awesome job!!! Tell her well done and I am very impressed:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So fantastic that your daughter is FMQing at 7! My eldest daughter will be 4 in August, we're taking baby steps to get her interested in sewing. The scrappy I-Spy quilt looks fun and bright, the baby will have lots of fun looking for things in that quilt.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!