Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Perfect Picnic Blog Hop

I jumped at the chance to be a part of this blog hop because I had a great idea for a picnic blanket that I couldn't wait to make and share! As part of the hop we were also to go on our "perfect" picnic and tell you all about it. It's going to be a fun hop!

Here's my picnic quilt with my basket. Aren't they fun?! The basket I borrowed from a friend who had around eight, all different sizes. It was so fun to go shopping in her basket collection. The blanket is made of I-Spy squares. There are four each of 81 different prints. It took me around eight months to collect them all because I was really specific about what I wanted. On each print is only one thing like pigs or ballet slippers not something like pigs, cows, and chicks. That way it would be easier to call out and find what we were looking for.

Here's my cute family at our picnic. There are seven of us. I'm the one taking the picture. We went to the school by our house that has a huge field and a fun playground. We had a great time running around and playing on the swings.

As far as the food the baby had her usual bottle. I think it's cute that you can see the picnic print in the background at her shoulder.

Here are the girls. The rest of us ate some PB&J, fruit snacks, rice crispy treats, and fun drinks like pop or juice.

The boys looks so handsome together. We sure had fun eating and talking together. Whenever the mood struck someone they would start back up the game of I-Spy calling out a color or a print they saw and everyone else tried to find it.

The baby got into the picnic scene too! She tried some PB&J and also got a tiny bit of a rice crispy treat.

I really like this picture. It's hard keeping everyone happy and fed and after we ate my hubby and I relaxed with the baby while the other four ran to the playground.

Ruby loves the I-Spy quilt! It's so fun for her to crawl around and check everything out.

This was also the day that Ruby turned ten-months old. We take pictures every time she reaches a new month and this picnic scene was perfect for our mini photo shoot. This was my favorite picture out of the bunch. My hubby was flat on the blanket and I held her up in the air.

To take her pictures we had the back side of the blanket up. It's just plain blue Kona Cotton. I'm not sure what color exactly. She decided she liked the print side better and we to flip it over and discovered the grass too.

After that the picnic basket and blanket were forgotten as we went to play at the park. We had so much fun!

We tried to teach my middle daughter tether ball. It was fun until she got too short to reach the ball. Then she was comically jumping every time it swung by.


Four on a tire swing is always a good time. Even when someone loses a flip flop.

The baby even got to try out the big kid swings with the help of Dad.
We loved the picnic so much we did it all again before we had to give back the borrowed basket. It was pretty perfect in my opinion. Everyone had fun, the food was good, and we took some great pictures. Who could ask for more?

Be sure to stop by the other bloggers on the hop...
That's Sew Julie - *You are here

This was also the first goal on my list for the 2014 Q2 FAL (goal post here).

44 comments:

  1. You have a beautiful family ... and a wonderful picnic quilt! The I Spy looks like a big hit with little Miss Ruby. Thanks for sharing ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful picnic and blanket that you shared with all of us. We always enjoy a game of I-spy whenever we can. Thanks for sharing your picnic with us and your little Ruby's 10 month milestone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your picnic quilt is a perfect for your young family! Thank you for sharing your happy day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A gorgeous quilt, a beautiful family and a perfect picnic! Who could ask for more?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your family pictures. So precious. What fun and your I Spy quilt is the perfect picnic quilt. I think your blog post is almost as fun to look at as it was for your family to enjoy a day of picnicking and playing. Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your wonderful day and Lovely Family with us. I Love the idea of a I Spy Quilt, it's a pattern everyone can enjoy and yours is fantastic!!
    Huggs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great quilt that is fun for the whole family! Loved seeing all your pictures. You really captured what a family picnic is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great family picnic quilt. You need to get a picnic basket of your own so you can keep going. I looks like the whole gang enjoyed it. And, an I spy quilt means you'll always have a game to play where ever you go. Thanks for taking us along today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I spy quilt...what fun, love the fabrics you used! Looks like you all had a lovely, relaxing time. Super photos, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a very fun time! Created lots of memories for everyone. Love those I Spy quilts - even the adults can have fun with that one! Thanks for sharing your lovely family with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a fun I Spy Quilt; great photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohh Julie....what a delight to see you all on a family picnic....I think I see many more in your future....I spy quilts are a novel idea..yours perfect...no doubt hours of amusement for all of you...great family photos..so pleased you joined us or actually allowed us to JOIN YOU..

    ReplyDelete
  13. A perfect picnic quilt for your babies. You have a beautiful family and looks like you all had a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love to make an eye spy quilt someday. Thank you for the inspiration! Your beautiful family looks so happy. I know how much work goes into a picnic for a big family, but you make it look easy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great minds think alike ;) Having a handful of kiddo's, an I spy is just the perfect picnic quilt. Looks like you all had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think this hop has been so much fun - I love the quilts but I love more the gathering of families. Your quilt is adorable and such a perfect idea to do I Spy for children. What wonderful memories you made! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pretty quilt, beautiful family :) Love that you played tetherball...we have one in our backyard that we enjoy a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fun idea to use I Spy for a picnic quilt...it is just so cute! Sweet, sweet family in all the pics and it is obvious they had a great time. Thanks for sharing your picnic with us!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your colorful picnic blanket! An eye spy quilt is perfect for that!! Looks like you had a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. A really fun quilt and a sweet family. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Julie love the quilt and pictures of your lovely family and a great day out. Thanks for sharing. Susie x

    ReplyDelete
  22. It looks like it was a wonderful time for your beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Julie, what a sweet day. I love your quilt. I spy mermaids! I'll have to start collecting now. Just what I don't need to do. Looks like a super fun day for the family.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a wonderful time you had with the beautiful family. It makes me want to have a picnic. I'm going to visit my daughter's family for a couple of weeks soon. I'll have her two sons for a week while she and her husband go on vacation, so maybe the boys and I will go on a picnic. They love to go to the park, so maybe we'll eat lunch there, even if Grandma buys it on the way there. It would still be a treat. The older one who is eight thinks he and I need to do a craft each afternoon while his younger brother naps. So, we are making memories and teaching him the value of using your hands. Last summer he even helped me "copy" a heart Log Cabin pattern from a wedding present quilt of his parents. So, he's being introduced to quilting. I love the eye spy quilt with the children. It's great to have learning opportunities. The baby is adorable. She obviously prefers bright colors and patterns which are visually stimulating. You have a beautiful family. I adore that you are teaching your daughter to piece. She did an amazing job with your instruction. What a great idea - junior members! I also see that you make NICU hats. I don't crochet (I wish I did). I knit ones for the NICU. I'm hearing that some hospitals won't accept them. They are using "tube" hats for all the babies now. My daughter's son were both in the NICU. We knew the first one would be a preemie and they took every precaution to delay his birth. Then she was assured that she would carry the second one to term. He came even earlier. She is a teacher. She taught on Friday, had him on Saturday, had spring break and went back to school the next Monday. Then when he came home, she stayed with him until school started again in the fall. He weighed 3 lbs 2 oz. I live in the Tulsa area and I knitted hats all the way to Albuquerque when we headed out when the younger one was born. One hat was too big for my fist and was way too big for his head. So, I, too, have a soft spot for those in the NICU. Thanks for participating in the hop, being an inspiration for family, quilting, and crafting. I enjoyed your tutorial on the hexagons, too. I had not seen that - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your quilt idea! Great one for kids. Your picnic looks like so much fun. Thank you for being part of this super fun hop.

    ReplyDelete
  26. A quilt that you can use and play games with! What a clever mom you are, Julie. You have a lovely family who look like they were having a great time on your picnic. I love the shot of daddy looking like he was all done in and the older kids off in the distance. I'm the oldest of 6 and in my family I would have been herding at least some of the kids along or watching over the youngest one to keep him our from underfoot while they rest had some task that needed tending. I have often wondered just how my parents managed.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a fun quilt! Great job! Looks like you had a wonderful day...

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a fun way to "spy" and enjoy a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've never made an i spy quilt but love the idea, what fun! You have a lovely family and it looks like a perfect picnic day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful--both the quilt and the family. Nice setting for a real picnic quilt--they are usually made just like that.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lovely post - looks like a great day! Quilt is lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
  32. i love your eye spy quilt -- it is so colorful and looks like it is loaded with funky little things to search for. the thrill is always in the hunt. enjoy and guard this precious time with your little ones, it all passes so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Julie, what a fun day! Great quilt, and perfect for your adorable family. We have a couple of quilts like that - and my grown-up girls still use and cuddle up in them. Great pictures - looks like a perfect picnic to me!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Ooooo....I Spy quilts are one of my favs to make. I made each of my grand kids one and they love them. Always so much to look at. Looks like you had a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a fun and beautiful quilt! You have a beautiful family as well . . . but I think you need a second quilt to hold them all :o)

    ReplyDelete
  36. I spy quilts are so much fun. Looks like the family had a great time. More families should go on picnics together.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Eye spy a great day with family and a wonderful picnic.

    ReplyDelete
  38. what a lovely family picnic. An i spy quilt is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Nothing say picnic like little kids and scrappy quilts ! Love it and love your happy family !

    ReplyDelete
  40. Awesome blog post! Love seeing the family pictures. You have a beautiful family. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Such a wonderful memory you made with your family that day! The photos are amazing and I had a silly grin on my face the whole time I read your blog post... so fun! You are blessed with such a wonderful family!

    ReplyDelete
  42. What a wonderful family and a wonderful picnic blanket! I Spy is a great idea especially with kids around. Do it again...no need for a basket...just use a box or a grocery bag! Sweet, sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Looks like your family had a great time. Lovely quilt!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!