Friday, August 8, 2014

Kate Spain Finishes

I finished two of my Kate Spain projects yesterday and I'm in love!! The quilt was on my Q3FAL list (found here) and the little pouch came together so quickly in just one evening. The quilt was even more impressive. Start to finish was only ten days. It shows that when I'm really jazzed about a project I can crank it out really quickly. I really love the color and scale of her prints and both projects finished up so well.

When I finished the quilt it was raining. I wanted to take a picture of the quilt anyway because rain was on the forecast for every day this week. I think the picture turned out okay but the quilt was awesome!

Here's a fun angle on the quilt also in the rain. While trying to get this picture I stepped on the quilt with my muddy shoe (!!!) so the photo session had to stop.

I washed the quilt last night and it wasn't raining this morning so we had another photo shoot. I really love how this quilt turned out. I followed the Charming Stars pattern but I made it bigger at 5 by 6 squares. It turns out being about 81" by 95".

I did straight line quilting on this one about every inch. I am so happy with it! The look and the texture both were better than I imagined.

Here's the back. I found this awesome Good Fortune print when I was at an amusement part in Missouri that had a fabric store in it. We're not even going to get into how strange that is. So, I bought what they had. It was a little small for the back but I love the purple stripe on top to make up the difference.

Here's a closeup of the back and binding. This purple Cuzco print went so well with the Good Fortune flower print. I love it!

My other project was much smaller and also finished yesterday. This adorable Kate Spain Cuzco pouch was made following the Quilted Patchwork Pouch tutorial. The pattern calls for a 1/2" D-ring but I could only find a 3/4". It's my only complaint about this one. I really love how it turned out. I may be overusing the word love in this post.

I did diagonal quilting making little Xs in the blocks. I've never tried that before and really like the look of it. It would be fun on a patchwork quilt. I usually go on either side of the seam but with 2" squares it seemed a little much.

I used more of that purple Cuzco print for the lining. As much as I love fun quilt backings I adore fun bag linings even more.
So those are my awesome finishes this week. I'm linking up at my favorite places again. TGIFF, Fabric Frenzy Friday, and Finish It Up Friday.

18 comments:

  1. What a fabulous quilt. I love the gray that you used in the sashing and as the stars, it really helps to soften the Kate Spains and bring them together. What gray is it? Very nice finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt is simply beautiful and I love the pouch too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your charming stars quilt is quite beautiful . Lovely fresh colours. I just LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic quilt! Kate Spain fabrics always look so good! I also had a Q3 challenge quilt and had to contend with melting snow for my photo! Good luck with your future Q3 projects! Countdown is on...

    ReplyDelete
  5. They both look gorgeous Julie! The pouch is so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your quilt and the backing is great. The pouch is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE this quilt! I used this pattern once and it really is wonderful. Good Fortune is awesome and the back is so pretty too. The pouch is equally pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are awesome! My current project uses a lot of Kate Spain too, I love how her different lines all go together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great finish. I love the pattern and fabrics. I agree if you really are excited about a project it's amazing how quickly they can come together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous finish. I just love seeing all the Kate Spain fabrics together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fab finishes...you should be thrilled! I'm sure thrilled for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fab finishes...you should be thrilled! I'm sure thrilled for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. a fabric store in an amusement park? oh my, it sounds like heaven to me! :)
    congrats on a great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely quilt! Your photos look good and I can clearly see how beautiful it is!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love them both: quilt and pouch! Well done!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!