Friday, April 12, 2013

Russian Little Kukla Quilt FInish

This one went from just a top to bound and tagged yesterday afternoon and I'm loving how it turned out! I totally changed my quilting plan over the last few days.  I was planning on doing 1/4" in from each seam but then I thought it would make the quilt too stiff and difficult to snuggle.  I've had that problem with major quilting before and these diamonds are so small.  Thus, I decided to follow the zigzag across in the ditch and I think it's not the perfect combination of stable and snuggly.

Here's the top all finished up and quilted.  I added a lime green binding that really makes the colors pop!

I adore the little Russian buildings on the backing fabric.  They are just so fun and interesting to look at!

Here's a closeup of the back at the right angle.  You can see the zigzag stitching.  I used my walking foot and it turned out so nicely.  I love how easy it is to go straight with a walking foot!  You can also see the fun binding color and my perfectly matching tag in the corner.

One last picture just for fun.  I can't wait to give this to my brother-in-law and his cute wife who are expecting their first child, a girl, mid-May!  He lived in Russia for a two years and I think it's just perfect for them.

I'm linking up with Finish it up Friday over at Crazy Mom Quilts.

7 comments:

  1. Lovely and bright! And great choice with the lime binding. E xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in love with the russian building fabric on the back!!!! and the front is fun too. :) Great job - the baby will love it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your fabric choices. Really cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is lovely, Julie - the fabric is so cute - great finish :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute quilt - and great backing fabric! It will be so fun and interesting for the wee one lucky enough to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun! The top creates a little bit of an optical illusion from your fabric choices. Nice binding too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for visiting my blog. I love the russian dolls. I adore the quilt you have just finished for your bed. I am a real fan of using grey as a background colour. Karen

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!