Monday, May 13, 2013

Skill Builder Sampler Finish

After about a year and a half of being a work in progress I finally finished my Skill Builder Sampler! I'm in love and it is just perfect on my bed! After I finished the blocks last June they were put in a box and left for quite some time. Last week I bought some fabric for the sashing and the border then put it all together. My fabulous friend Leila did an awesome job quilting it. The local quilt guild had an all-day sewing day and there I had it bound and finished up.

Here's some fun pictures for your viewing enjoyment.

Here's the top all finished and quilted. I just love how it turned out! I put the blocks in the order that I created them so theoretically they go from easy in the top left to crazy hard in the bottom right. For all the posts on this quilt click here.

Now here are some closeups of my favorite blocks either because of the piecing or the quilting.

This is the hardest block in the series. It was crazy hard and I ended up cutting up the tips of the wings while piecing but I think it looks so great! I love the quilting in the wings too! This is Block #36 - Alice Brooks Butterfly.

This one is paper pieced and was so fun to make! It was a little tricky getting all the fabric in the right spot to make the pattern but luckily I didn't have to unpick anything. I found the pattern here for 99 cents.

This was the first time I attempted EPP with hexagons. I loved it so much I now have a plan to make a whole quilt of solid hexies. I hope to start it soon but I have all the pieces and fabric in my stash ready to go. I love how Leila did the quilting on this one, it makes it even more cute!

I really love geometric blocks and these triangles are so fun. The glaring sun make the quilting hard to pick up but she did wavy lines in the white and it just makes the triangles pop more and I love it! The colors are pretty fabulous too.

Who doesn't love a circle of geese block? I saw this one and thought it would be impossible and never turn out right but it was paper pieced and so much easier than expected. I love how it turned out!

This one was fun and totally a learning process. She had us try four different ways of applique and there were some that were much harder than others. The quilting was so fun too!

Here's one last picture to show off the backing and my little name tag in the corner. The backing fabric is 108" wide and was so nice not to have to piece. I got it at fabric.com and I highly recommend for backing.
Thanks for stopping by and taking a look! I'm linking up with Finish it Up Friday over at Crazy Mom Quilts.

10 comments:

  1. I love it! I have to ask though, which quilt lives in your bed? This one or the one you just recently made with the gray background?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Skill Builder quilt turned out fabulously!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on not only gaining all those new skills, but turning out a pretty quilt as part of the process! I recognize that butterfly from an old quilt housed at the New England Quilt Museum in Lowell, MA. A tough little pattern for sure, but so pretty. Love your red backing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is BEAUTIFUL!! I'm so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, it is so beautiful! Congratulations on such a lovely finish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing!! That butterfly block is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So nice! Love your little hexie flower!

    ReplyDelete
  8. the butterfly block is my favorite, and your quilting looks awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is gorgeous! You have some serious skill :) I also love the butterfly block!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is gorgeous! You have some serious skill :) I also love the butterfly block!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!