Monday, October 21, 2013

High Street Baby Quilt

My cute sister is having another baby, this makes five just like me. I always make my nieces and nephews a quilt and I was excited for this one. I've become much better over the years and I had the perfect fabric in mind. My sister gave me free reign on the fabric and design and I had so much fun! This is what I ended up with...

The fabric is High Street by Lily Ashbury for Moda. The pattern is the original quilt-along from Happy Quilting. I quilted in the ditch around the white pieces and bisected the squares going horizontal and vertical.

It is 51" square so an odd size for normal size fabric in the backing. I've never really pieced a backing before so I thought I'd try it. I've done a stripe of something else but I don't know if that really counts.  I had an extra inner square so I plopped that in the corner with a little fabric for cushion room and then used some yardage to finish off the strip then the other one was just the width of fabric. It saved so much fabric doing it this way instead of how I'd usually do it with two full strips and cutting off the excess to be used as stash.

I machine zigzagged the binding, my favorite method of late, in lime green to match the binding. I also added one of my tags. I bought these way back in 2004 and I only have one left! Now I need to go find some new ones, maybe something a little more gender neutral.

One last picture just for fun.
This is quilt number fifty two. You can see the rest of them here. This is also my first blogged finish for my Q4 finish-a-long!! One down not more than 28 to go.

2 comments:

  1. It looks fantastic Julie!! I love the choice of High Street, so chic!!! Your quilting really adds to the design. So fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job! I love it! You can always have free reign on my kid's quilts. You are amazing! Love you!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!