Friday, January 10, 2014

Equilateral Triangle Fire Truck Quilt

My littlest man has been so patient will be for quite some time on his quilt and it finally paid off! I finished the equilateral fire truck quilt I promised him last year. I am so happy with how it turned out too. Once again I quilted the finish myself, at home. I'm loving how my skills are improving and how much money this is saving me! This was my goal for ALYoF for January. I finished it up pretty quickly. The goal post is here.

If you're visiting for the Kona blog hop or would like to see my Harry Potter book quilt finish go here.

Here's some more photo detail...

He's my little guy back in June when the fabric first came in the mail. Part of the reason it took me so long to get to this one is that he would carry the fabric around all the time and sleep with it in his bed just like this. It was adorable! Every time I would talk about making something with it he would say, "No cut it my favric!" Then finally in November he was on board after his baby quilt would no longer cover his feet (I make 'em big).

Here's the finish - LOVE! Originally I had planned on putting in some white triangles too but I had enough fabric to do the whole thing in fire trucks and it worked out well this way so I just stuck with it.  It's a little busy but I think it works okay for a little man. Random is really difficult for me, I don't know why, so I enlisted the help of my kids and hubby and they picked out which triangles to sew next and got the layout all set up. There are spots I don't love but the overall feel is good and random.
 
Here's a close-up of the fabric. It's called All Fired UP by Dan Morris for RJR Fabrics.

My little guy's favorite color is orange. It's an obsession only equaled by his love for all things fireman. So I backed it in this great orange with a dark red stripe to add length and tie in the binding. The fabric is totally not coming to mind right now and I can't find my scraps. Grrr, I found it at my LQS though.

I really like how the quilting came together in little stars. I did 1/4" on either side of each seam.

I love the quilting on this one! It was so fun and I feel so accomplished doing another twin size on my home machine. The quilt worked out to be about 72" by 88".
I'm linking up with Finish it up Friday and TGIFF. Also I get to host TGIFF next week!!! EEK! I am so excited! That means you have a whole week to finish something, anything, and come over here and link it up with me next week.

10 comments:

  1. Yay! I love how this turned out. I've been following along ever since you got the fabric. How large are your triangles?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love triangle quilts. That quilt should fit him for a looong time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute. I know exactly how that is, the obsession that is. When we moved into this house Jammer wanted a fire truck room so of course I had to make him a fire truck quilt and when it was done he was thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! It's adorable. I did quilting like that on a triangle quilt too and LOVED those little stars too. It was a fun surprise. I can already tell that will be a well loved quilt. So glad you linked up and that you will be hosting next week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you did it the way you decided! Really cute, and I bet he loves it!
    Good job and the quilting too. The back looks perfect....nice colors for a boy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic job quilting such a big quilt on your home machine :) I love the effect on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome boy quilt! Love the quilting too. The orange on the back is nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How sweet that he fell in love with the "favric?" You did a great job putting it together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful and fun quilt for your little guy. Great finish! I love orange too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That turned out so cute. I love that he slept with the fabrics! LOL The way you quilted if is very cool, too.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!