Friday, July 22, 2016

Nativity Mini Quilt Finish

My Mom is turning sixty this year. To celebrate my whole family is getting together for a reunion. We haven't all been together in so long I'm really excited. My Mom collects nativities and has been asking me for a quilt nativity for a while and this seemed like a great time to whip one up for her. I super love this project! This is also my first finish from my Q3 FAL list.

Let me start by saying how this pattern was a bit out of my comfort zone. I adore paper piecing and do it often but have never attempted something so tiny! As it turns out it's not any harder than the bigger pieces. In fact it may be easier because you don't have to worry if your scrap is large enough to cover the area. Side note, I deliberately skipped piece five. It didn't really need it and I only had one good skin color on hand.

See how amazing this is!! I can't stand it I love it so much. The pattern is O Holy Night by Paper Panache. I did this all from stash and am so happy with how my pull turned out.

Here's a bit more of a zoomed in shot. While some of the pieces were small it went together really well. I started this project not knowing if I would finish in time to leave for the reunion as I only had a week. As it turns out this took me three days start to finish. My kids and house got pretty ignored but I think it was worth it.

I really love the quilting on this one. I did my favorite paisley again with Aurifil 50wt as always. I was worried that it might not blend well on the front but it totally blends and pops just like I'd hoped. This is the back and it looks so amazing!

One final shot of the tag, the binding, and a closeup of the quilting. I did my usual zigzag binding and love this tag with room for specifics.
Quilt Stats:
Pattern - O Holy Night by Paper Panache
Fabric - Mixed designers stash with fabric by Cotton + Steel for the back and binding.
Thread - Pieced and quilted Aurifil 50wt
Quilting - Free motion paisley on my domestic Juki.
Size - Wall about 16" by 17"
Stash Report - Project is 100% stash!

That's me for the week. Thanks for stopping by! I have another project ready to share next week too which I'm really excited about. Until then I'm linking up with Finish It Up Friday.

7 comments:

  1. This mini quilt turned out so nice Julie! All those tiny pieces - I'm not sure I would have the patience for it. :-). Your mom is going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Paper piecing is on my to do list. So fun to hear about a project coming out better and easier than you imagined!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am shocked at the detail you were able to get into the paper piecing! I don't use PP--it's just to awkward for me to remember that I'm working backward. I built an entire house with PP only to find out in the end that the house was backwards. I know, right? How did I not catch that??? I didn't! Your mini quilt is too adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous gift for your mother - I'm sure it will be her most treasured nativity! Congratulations on the finish and thanks for linking up to the FAL quarter three on behalf of your team of hosts

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this project, I'm hoping to try it myself, wonderful finish!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!