Friday, June 29, 2012

Skill Builder Sampler Blocks - FINISHED!

 Hurray!  I can't believe I've finished the Skill Builder Sampler series.  It's been going for so long!  Well, not as long for me as everyone else.  I originally found the sampler and started quilting along in November (see my first post here) but everyone else started in June.  Then I really couldn't get into it in spite of my best efforts.  I decided it was my fabric frustration and restarted in March (see post here).  The restart was fabulous and in about three months I cranked out all 36 blocks, some of them for a second time.  For all the posts involving sampler blocks go here.  Otherwise read on for the last installment...

Block #35 - Feathered Star.  I did the paper pieced version (found here) and I loved it.  Then again I am a huge fan of all things paper pieced.  I think it turned out great!  I have only one or two points that will be cut off when sewn to another block.  I think that's pretty good all things considering.  This block finishes up to 12" so those little HST are REALLY TINY!  I don't think I've worked with something that small before.

Block #36 - Alice Brooks Butterfly.   Being the last blog in the sampler means this one was hard.  Although for me it was more time consuming that really crazy difficult.  I only had to unpick twice, which is pretty good with all those crazy curves.  I did make it a bit too big and thus the points of the wings will be cut off but either way, hurray!

I decided not to make some of the blocks the second time around and thus I was short a block for my 36 block layout.  I decided to go back and do the Bonus Block #2 the Green Mountain Star Block.  I loved it!  Especially after doing the last blocks of the sampler going back to this one was a piece of cake.  It went so quickly and looks pretty sharp.

Here are all my sampler blocks together.  I don't know how I'm going to assemble them yet.  I may need to think on this one or just see what Leila suggests.  Either way this is quite the accomplishment.

Here's a close-up of the bottom left from the group shot.

Here's the bottom right of the group shot.

Top Right of the group shot.

Finally the top left of the group shot.

These are my blocks from my first attempt at the sampler. (See original posts here from top left... one, two, three, four, and five).  I was using my scraps which are in a very large tote and it was so hard to find what I needed big enough and that matched the others.  Thus, I restarted with new fabric.  The top three I remade but the bottom two didn't make the cut the second time around.  I replaced them with both bonus blocks.  I made them so I could learn the skills but they won't be in the final quilt.  The kids love these blocks and have asked me to make pillows out of them.  We'll see what happens.

A big thank you to Leila for putting this together.  I learned a lot while putting this together and had so much fun!

7 comments:

  1. Julie,
    I love the second try. It is so cheery and I llove the variety of blocks. I will have to check it out!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE THEM! I can't believe you finished them up so quickly! They are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow these are all so awesome!! Well done - they look fab together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You amaze me. You said they were hard but I should have looked at your site. Oh, my! You did such a great job. So proud!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are all beautiful! I love the high contrast and bright colors you used. The "Circles" block is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sampler is so cheerful! Great job! Your Green Mountain star block is so pretty. I'll look forward to seeing how you decide to quilt this beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That looks fantastic. Very impressive. I need to check out that series.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!