Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Christmas Quilt Finish!

 Finally!  After waiting eight years I have a Christmas quilt!  In 2004 my mom funded the effort to make her and each of my four siblings and myself a Christmas quilt.  Yup, that's right, six of them!  The fabric was purchased in July, I think and I managed to have five of the six finished in time for Christmas.  AMAZING!  Of course the one that didn't get finished was my own.  Over the years it has always been pushed to the back burner.  Last year I took out the fabric and decided it just wasn't me anymore.

Thus enters this quilt...


Isn't is pretty?!  The pattern is Etchings found at the Moda Bake Shop.  Love!  I was worried it wouldn't look right with my fabric because it didn't divide the same way as hers but I love the bit of scrappy look it has.  The fabric is Ready, Set, Snow! for Moda.


Quilting it was an adventure!  I quilted in the ditch around each of the swirls.  It's nearly impossible to see, even in person so I didn't get a picture.  I started with the walking foot which looked a lot better but was really difficult with the amount of quilt needed to be shoved through the machine.  I then decided to use the FMQ foot.  It was a lot easier and faster but it doesn't look as nice.  I've decided just to not look to closely at it and just be happy that it is finished!  I began this quilt back in January and finished the top in February then it just sat there on the back burner.  I got excited about in again in July when I attempted to spray baste it.  That was an adventure found in this post


Also back in 2004 I got a large package of these cute name tags.  They say made by and my name on them.  I just love them!  I think they add just the right touch to my finished quilt.


Of course I picked red binding again.  I just adore red binding lately and on a Christmas quilt it seems extra festive!  The green swirly background is so fun without being over bearing too!  Hurray for another finish under my belt and a Christmas quilt of my very own!

3 comments:

  1. Love it! You may have inspired me to make a Christmas quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you get your labels from? I'm thinking about getting some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun quilt! I love the red binding. That was so nice of your Mom to fund such a project. I admire that you got a Christmas quilt done while there are still leaves on the trees:).

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!