Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Wedding Quilt and Various Hat Finishes

I got a ton done this week. There are more projects in progress but this post is all about my finishes this week and there are FOUR! One quilt and three crocheted hats. The wedding quilt was my ALYoF goal for July (post here at the bottom) and I finished it just in time! It is also #1 on my Q3 FAL list.

This is the completed wedding quilt! I just adore it. I came up with the layout of the HST by myself after looking around at a few ideas I liked. I love the secondary pattern it made. The fabric is Social Club by the Comstocks.

My sweet hubby got the privilege of holding this one up. He was having a problem holding it all the way out though because he said he was too short. That's funny because he's 6'6". I didn't think at 72" square it would be that hard but it was and he had to take a few breaks to get all the pictures I wanted.

I'm totally in love with my red rocking chair, especially for a quilt photo prop. This one looks so good and snuggly on it.

I really love fun and interesting quilt backings and don't piece them if I can help it at all other than a single seam. I adore this fabric and think it is the perfect mix between fancy and fun. It is one of the prints from the Social Club line.

I had a ton of great ideas to quilt this but I just didn't have the time. I basted the top on Friday and it had to be in the mail on Tuesday at the latest. Thus, I went with a serpentine stitch on my machine every two inches. I love the texture it made!

I made a personalized tag for this one. I honestly never do that. I wanted it to say a bunch more and was going to write it but it needed to get shipped off and I didn't have a good fabric pen around. So, I went with the simple their names and mine. If only there was room for their wedding date I think it would have been perfect. The fabric for this tag conveniently came in my layer cake.
Here is my adorable niece with the quilt!

Here they are together with the quilt. Aren't they adorable?! Totally worth all the effort.

  Now on to the crochet hats...

I got an order for this awesome crab hat. I just adore this one and it is one of my favorites in my shop.

The best thing about this particular order is that the hat was purchased for an adult male. I love it! I used my hubby's head for sizing but he was at work when I finished it and I didn't want to wait for mailing so I got a picture with me in it. It cracks me up.

Another great order this week was for a toddler size apple hat. I really like how simple but cute this hat is! So perfect for fall.

So one of my best and oldest friends just found out she was having a baby girl after trying to get pregnant again for years. She has three adorable boys but this is her first girl. I saw this dress and fell in love with it and then made a cute sheep hat to go with it. The yarn for the sheep hat was a bit off but it was the closest I could get. It's amazing how hard it is to match yarn!!

Here's a closeup of the hat. This sheep hat is also available in my shop and it was my favorite when my baby was tiny. One of Ruby's first noises sounded like baaa and it was so cute with her in this hat.
Well, that was my week of finishes. I've started crocheting while my hubby watches TV. He adores watching shows but I hate to sit still that long and the crochet helps a ton! I'm linking up with TGIFF and Fabric Frenzy Friday.

18 comments:

  1. I love the wedding quilt! So beautiful!

    I also LOVE the dress and hat for my little girl. Thank you again so much! I can't wait for her to wear them. I'll be sure to send you pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that wedding quilt. I don't think I've seen that particular layout before. Your hats are always so much fun. (And yes, matching yarn is a crazy thing, with so many colors you'd think it would be easier!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wedding quilt is simply gorgeous Julie! I really like the layout you chose and you're right, the secondary design is so fun. As always, those hats are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! I love that wedding quilt. And those hats are adorable! Where do you sell? Do you make starwars?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The quilt looks great, HSTs are just so versatile. The lamb hat is very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julie, your wedding quilt is gorgeous! Yes that is a great layout for the HST's. Wonderful decision on the Serpentine quliting - it looks perfect!
    And your hats.... Oh My Gosh! They are so adorable! I especially love the little lamb, your friend will be so thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Acckkk - my first comment just got lost!

    Julie, your wedding quilt is Beautiful! That was a great way to lay out the HSTs! And the decision you made to use a serpentine stitch to quilt with is perfect!

    And your hats.... Oh My Gosh! they are so adorable and funny! The little lamb hat is my favorite - your firend is going to be so thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS - i just followed you on Bloglovin and joined your site so I don't forget to stop and visit again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous quilt and those hats are so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful wedding quilt! I am sure they will treasure it
    I have never tried the serpentine stitch...looks quick and easy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love your HST wedding quilt. It is so gorgeous and the photos and story are all great too! I'm going to a wedding shower today and wish I had made such a quilt to take along. (Also funny about your husband holding up the quilt because I was having my husband do the same thing last night and was surprised when he had to take breaks too!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. HST's are so versatile!! Your quilt is proof. What a great gift to give your niece and her new husband...pinned

    ReplyDelete
  13. That wedding quilt is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great quilt! Love the fabric and the quilting :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your projects are wonderful. I am now a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The wedding quilt is really gorgeous and I love the backing fabric! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful quilt! How do you get so much done??

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow super productive and that quilt is beautiful! Lucky couple for sure!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!