Wednesday, July 2, 2014

WiP Wednesday: Seeing Stars

I finished up the top of my quilt for the MQG fabric challenge. I am so excited about how the stars and top turned out! I also got fabric for two new projects, both of which have to be done by the end of this month along with the MM challenge quilt. It's going to be busy around here!

These are the next two stars I finished for my quilt. I love how they look on the "dirt" background fabric. It's a fun color and a big change from what I usually use. The one of the left is the Arizona star and the one on the right is the Green Mountain Star.

My five year-old took this picture of me. She said that I take a lot of pictures of what I make but none of me making them. I thought it was cute that she wanted to document me.

I really like these little stars! They come from a Happy Quilting QAL called Stars from a while ago. To fit the layout I wanted I had to reduce these stars to 8" finished. I'm surprised at how easy that was for me to figure out! It opened up a lot of possibilities for different quilt/block sizes.

I finished all the stars for my challenge top and love this picture of them all together! I did a Swoon, a Star Surround, and the ones I mentioned above.

For the layout I picked a pattern from the new book Vintage Quilt Revival. I adore this book! I just bought it a couple of weeks ago and have poured over it several times. The quilt in the book has all of the stars matching but I wanted to make this a collection of my favorites from around the internet.

I just got these fabrics yesterday. They are destined to be a quilt for my niece who is getting married on August 2nd. THIS YEAR! I volunteered to make her a wedding quilt before I knew the date. They are moving fast! They've been together for quite some time now so it's not like their rushing but I sure wish I had a bit more time. I'm using the layer cake to HST method I found at Material Girl Quilts and doing a block from her Layer Cake Sampler. Since it has to be done by the end of the month anyway I'm making this my July ALYoF project.

I adore all things Kate Spain but I already had a Christmas quilt so I didn't know what to do with this line of hers. My guild is having a Christmas in July meeting so I decided to whip up a quilt Contact Print Pillow for the meeting on the 17th. It's a really easy pattern and all the fabric for this was around $12. I can handle that much! It's a nice way to use a fun collection from one of my favorite designers and not break the bank. However, I think I'm slowing becoming a crazy pillow lady. I've only made five so far, two of them only for Halloween, but it's sort of addicting.
That's it for this week. The star quilt took up most of my time. I have NO idea how I'm going to quilt it and I'm waiting on my thread to be delivered. I hope to make some progress on the other two projects in the mean time. Thanks for stopping by and I'm linking up with WiP Wednesday!

9 comments:

  1. I really love your Stars quilt top and can't wait to see how you quilt it. The Vintage Quilt Revival book is one of my favorites as well. Good luck on your niece's quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that book also. I love it! Your star quilt is beautiful and I like that you used more than one type of star!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all your stars. That is going to finish nicely. I have that same In from the Cold pre-cut. My plan is for a pillow too. Your nieces quilt looks like it will be adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a lovely layout and arrangement of those beautiful stars! I love that your five year old is taking pictures of you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your MQG Challenge quilt top! I have that book too - maybe I should take out and have another loook! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. Your star blocks are GORGEOUS! Funny that you call that background fabric "dirt brown," because here in North Carolina all we have is orange clay -- we only get BROWN dirt if we buy it in bags from the garden store!

    2. I have the exact same gingerbread man fabric in my stash. That was my youngest son's favorite bed time story when he was little, so I had to snatch the fabric up when I saw it. I also have no idea what I'll do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The star quilt is outstanding! I love the combination of the background color with the colorful prints. I also love your fabrics for the other projects. Good luck with the quilt by August 2...you can do it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all the stars in the MM challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love what you are doing with those blocks. That gray is perfect! And your 5 year old sounds like a real sweetheart!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!