Thursday, January 21, 2016

I Heart You! Quilt

I super puffy heart this quilt!! I can't even tell you! I have been planning for this quilt ever since I first saw the pattern quite a while ago. I knew I wanted a low volume background with a bit of a kick and a non-traditional heart color. It came out dreamy! This quilt is #9 on my Q1 FAL list. It feels great to get another one marked off! Prepare to be overwhelmed by photos.

Right off the bat I'm going to show it off in all its glory! The pattern is I Heart You from Vanessa of V. and Co. I can't even tell you how much she is one of my favorite people and her fabric and patterns are so fun! The heart is made from one of her ombre prints which are in stores now. The background is the awesome ledgers print from Carolyn Friedlander's Architectures line. She does the best low volumes and this one has purple in it that is an exact match to the ombre!


Backing up to the piecing I was really nervous about this! I am garbage at random. I found a method that works for me though. This is my oldest daughter Miya, who is also a quilter. I have her, or one of her adorable siblings, sit with a large bowl and all my pieces. They mix them up very well and hand them to me one at a time. As you can see from the previous picture it works wonders and I don't overthink it.

Here's a close-up of the two prints together. The whole top only needs two prints and it come out wonderfully thanks to the ombre fabric. See what I mean about that low volume background? Just the right amount of something so I won't worry about that much white but not overwhelming. LOVE! You can see the quilting here too. I mostly did a meander with matching thread. However, I did quilt in something special...

It's surprisingly difficult to photograph given the size of them but I quilted in an A + J for my husband's and my initials. They are each over five blocks tall so over 15" a piece. I love how it's subtle but a fun little touch.

I modified the pattern a bit to get the size I really wanted. The choices were 108" square or 54" square. Neither appealed to me so I did the math to do one in the middle-ish at 80" square. It's a little too small for our bed but serves as a great second quilt or one to snuggle under while watching movies.

Another fun angle of the quilt in the snow. It was actively snowing when I got this picture but it turned out so well anyway. There are 232 HSTs in the quilt and I had to make and them trim them all but it was so so worth it!

One of the best things about this quilt is that it was nearly 100% stash!! I had to supplement the binding a little because I ran out of my favorite matching purple but even the 5 yards for the back I had on hand from a remodel sale at my LQS. I love nearly free projects! Also, look how cute the tag is on this one, perfect for this quilt.

Here we are in front of it! Aren't we cute?!

I heart you!
Quilt Stats:
Pattern: I Heart You by Vanessa Christensen
Fabric: V. and Co. Ombre in Eggplant and Ledgers from Carolyn Friedlander's Architectures. Backing and binding from Simply Style by V. and Co.
Quilting: FMQ by me on my domestic
Size: 80" square

Thanks for stopping by and putting up with my picture overload. That's me this week. I have more in line to share next week and I can't wait! Until then I'll be linking up with Finish It Up Friday.

9 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous! What a fantastic finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ombre really makes that quilt. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww what a sweet photo and quilt! I LOVE Ledgers, too, and it goes so well with the color of the heart. Lovely finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is SUCH a wonderful quilt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the heart in purple - congrats on a gorgeous finish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you guys are cute! and I love how you draw your daughters into the quilting / sewing experience....lots of great memories you'll have!
    The quilt is lovely too- at first I thought it was a wall hanging, but it's huge!! covers your bed- I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't tell you how much I love this quilt. The colours, the fabrics, the quilting... How perfect is that background print?! And beautiful pictures too. You guys are adorable! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your purple heart quilt - just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So awesome - love the quilt, fabrics and colour, and you guys are so cute! :) Thank you for participating in the Finish-A-Long, on behalf of the 2016 hosts!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!