Monday, July 9, 2012

One Thing One Week Challenge: Pinwheel Victory!

 Last week I made a goal over at Amy's Creative Side's One Thing, One Week Challenge to finish the pinwheel blocks for my mother's queen-sized quilt.  Half the blocks are pinwheels and the other half are a type of star.  I'm happy to say that with the help of my wonderful hubby I finished my goal for the week and got a bit of extra sewing time in.  Hurray!

Here's my cute man lending a helping hand.  Isn't he amazing?  I sewed 112 squares together to make 56 that needed to be cut in half to form 112 HST.  (It's all for this quilt for my mother).  I was not looking forward to making it through that pile when my hubby came into my craft room and I enlisted his help.  He was a little leery at first but then I told him all he had to do was cut on the marked line and he probably cut about as many as I did.

While doing my recently completed Skill Builder Sampler series I found that my pinwheels came out so much crisper if I made them a touch big and trimmed them down.  I know it is a lot of work but I did this to all 112 HST blocks.  This step alone took up three days of my free time which wasn't very much last week with the holiday and my four munchkins in dire need of attention.

Here's one completed pinwheel block.  It measures 10.5" square.  I really liked these fabrics together when I bought the fabric but when I started piecing them together I randomly freaked out that they looked bad.  Now I think I'm back to liking them.  Either way my Mom likes them and that makes me happy.  What do you think?

Here are the 28 completed pinwheels all together.  I'm so happy I met my goal!  Now only if I had motivation to work on it again this week!  I could finish this top so quickly at this pace!
I'm linking up with the One Thing, One Week Challenge with Amy over at Amy's Creative Side.  I'm excited by all the other fun projects already posted.    I love seeing what everyone can accomplish in a week if they put their mind to it.

Also I'm linking up with Plum and June who is hosting the Let's Get Acquainted Blog Hop.  There is a fun giveaway again this week with $30 shoppe credit to Poppy Seed Fabrics!!  Also there is a link to a great advice post, tips on how to join Instagram, and a linky party for everyone's fabulous projects.  Later this week we get to visit the four stops on the hop...

July 10

    Jenelle from Echinops and Aster  
    Julie from Bedsheet in the Kitchen
July 12
    Rebecca from Sew Festive Handmade 
    Marti from 52 Quilts in 52 Weeks

Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. Love the pinwheels...such a versatile block...can be used in so many ways!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pinwheels look lovely all together - it is going to be a lovely quilt. PS quietly impressed that you managed to get the hubby to help out with the scissors! Good man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pinwheels are lovely! I tried to get my hubby to help trim the HST's for my Swoon blocks but had no luck:)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!