Thursday, September 20, 2012

TNT Thursday: A HST Pink Quilt

 I'm excitedly linking up with Try New Things Thursday hosted by Melissa at Happy Quilting.  I have never before made a quilt of all half square triangles.  I'd made a few quilts that had HST in them but never a full one and so I was excited to conquer this new, to me, thing.  Piecing the triangles was kind of monotonous but the rows went together really quickly. As of my post yesterday I only had 112 of my 280 squares sewn together.  Twenty-eight of them were sewn into two rows.  I worked on it through nap time and a little after the kids came home from school and I finished up the whole quilt!  It was pretty impressive.

Here's the completed quilt top.  I just LOVE it!  It went together so fast and the scrappy feel is just what I wanted.  I'm typically not great at making scrappy but I put all the pieces in a big bag and tried not to look as I picked them out.

Now comes the debate of how to quilt it.  I'm totally at a loss and would appreciate help.  I narrowed it down to two different choices...

This is the first choice.  I'd use this template with spray chalk to transfer it and then free-motion quilt it.

IMG_0856
This is the other option.  I found this quilt HERE at JAQS Studio.  I love the way it looks and emphasizes the zigzag-ness of it all.  It would be fairly easy to do with my walking foot.
 So what do you think?

5 comments:

  1. I like the second quilting option to emphasize the chevrons. Great job on this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving the second one. I really like how it follows and emphasizes the pattern of the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the chevron quilting also! But I have a question: what kind of sewing machine do you have? Because there is no way I could possibly FMQ that stenciled design on my machine - no friggin way. Do you have control over your speed and a large harp space? Have you quilted with stenciled designs before?
    cheers
    -k

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another who loves the second design! Beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the HST quilt!! So cute!!! As far as the quilting, I love both!! No help, sorry :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!