Wednesday, September 5, 2012

WiP Wednesday: Just Keep Quilting

I've been working like a crazy person over the last week to try and get my Tetris quilt finished for the quilt parade on Sept. 11th.  I'm afraid my life has come down to eat, sleep, and quilt with not much in between.  When I decided to hand quilt my Tetris top I wasn't aware, or didn't remember, that I only had two weeks to finish between the put it together post and the parade.  When I found this out last week I only had about 40 of the 336 squares outlined.  Now I have about 290 finished.  I'm so close and have about a week left.  I figure it won't be a problem since I did about 250 this week alone.  It's surely a work in progress which gets me linking up to Freshly Pieced where Emily from Mommy's Nap Time is the guest blogger today.  She's got some great projects going and the linky is full of other wonderful WiPs so check it out when you're finished with mine.  Here we go...

I am over 80% finished hand quilting the top. It's quite difficult to see the quilting which is a huge source of frustration for me.  I wanted it to stand out because I outlined each and every Tetris piece to make them pop.  However, I didn't want them to be all crazy in your face.  I opted to go with the darkest gray that wasn't black and thought that would be good enough.  Now that I'm almost done I wonder if black would have been better for standing out or if it still wouldn't have been enough.

Here's a close up of the side.  I quilted a grid though all the gray squares and outlined the red piece not quilting between every square.  You can sort of see the quilting in the grid but do you see what I mean about it not standing out?

I quilted the top strip the same as the side.  Just a grid on the white and outlining the other pieces.

I tried several different angles and lighting variations to try and get a picture of the back quilting and it was quite difficult to make it so you could see what happened.  If you look closely you can see the different Tetris pieces that I outlined.  It's already getting wrinkly with all the shifting and such so it's even harder to see.  Oh well.  It is a little better in person and even though you can't really see the quilting I still love it.  It's not what I pictured but still fabulous and as long as the quilt doesn't fall apart that's all that really matters in the end, right?

I'm very excited about the binding on this one!  I did a red binding with my Walk in the Woods quilt and LOVED it so I had to try again.  This red is from the Bungle Jungle line by Tim and Beck for Moda.
Thanks for stopping by and have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!