Thursday, April 28, 2016

Sparklettes Quilt Finish

I am so excited to share this finish and to have it off my WiP list. I knew I wanted to make this quilt a few years ago and then I had to collect all the right fabrics and wait for it to come up in the priority list. It was made for my middle child. My girl and I are so happy for it to me done. This is #10 on my Q2 FAL list.

Here it is! This is the Sparklettes quilt from the book Fat Quarter Style. I seriously adore this book and have made many patterns from it. I especially love how there are so many size options for each quilt. For this one I used Bella bleached white for the background and Far Far Away 2 by Heather Ross and Cotton and Steel Basics.

This is an in progress shot but it shows off the binding so well I had to include it. I love a fun binding, especially for kid quilts, and these snails sure fit the bill. You can also see the quilting really well here. Amelia, my daughter, requested pink thread and "the waves lines because they make little puffy spots that I can poke with my finger."

I knew I wanted the bed print (which is crazy upside down in this picture) for the back but my favorite LQS didn't have enough for the whole back. I tried some thing fairly rare for me - a pieced backing. I love it! Especially how it ties the front of the quilt into the back.

Just a fun shot where you can see the back, right side up this time, and the binding together. These colors are so fun!

Here it is on her bed. It was fun because she didn't know I was going to finish it up so quickly and I surprised her with it when she came home from school. She has since declared it the "best quilt ever!"
Quilt Stats:
Pattern - Sparklettes from Fat Quarter Style
Fabric - Far Far Away 2 and Cotton and Steel Basics
Thread - Pieced and quilted Aurifil 50wt
Quilting - Meander by me on my domestic Juki
Size - Twin - 70" by 86"
Stash Report - Mostly stash! Background fabric was from a bolt I bought earlier this month and I needed an extra yard for the back. Otherwise - stash!

Thanks for stopping by! It's been a busy week and I'm on fire with more finishes to share next week. I'll be linking up with Finish It Up Friday tomorrow. I just had to get a jump on the post when I had a minute.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on the finish! It looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful Julie! I just love the colours and that binding! I find myself piecing more and more of my backings now that I'm trying to use up my stash and rarely have enough of one fabric. I have to say I'm not crazy about needing to sew up a backing before basting and quilting, but I do like the look of pieced backs. They make for an almost reversible quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well it is the "best quilt ever!" I surely does look good on her bed. She'll enjoy for a long time because the colors and fabrics are not so much for little girls. I love the design and the binding is just so much fun. Beautiful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely!! And so nice that it will be so well used and loved, too :) Thanks so much for linking up with the Finish-A-Long, on behalf of all of the hosts!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!