Friday, April 1, 2016

Star Surround Quilt Finish!

I am so freaking excited about this one I cannot even tell you!! This quilt was from a quilt along that began the Summer of 2013. I completed it with the deadline but couldn't afford to get it quilting. I am so happy it is finished now and happy to cross another thing off my Q1FAL list!

Isn't it lovely!? This is my favorite quilt to date - and there are a lot of quilts to choose from too. I love the colors and pattern both. The quilting really takes it up a notch too. The backgound, which you can't see here but will later, is an unexpected pop of color. I just love it!

Here's the whole quilt laid out before it was bound. This is from the Star Surround QAL by Melissa from Happy Quilting. The fabric is PB&J by Basic Gray for Moda.

I love the quilting on this one!! This was done by the lovely Ellen of Handmade3D. She has such fun ideas and a great attention for detail. Check her out! She is based in Florida and I'm in Iowa but we mailed the quilt back and forth and it worked wonders.

I especially love the centers of the stars. The quilting is really fun and I love how it's two tone like this as well. This kind of star is what got me wanting to quilt in the first place back when I was 14.

See the backing? Love!! This pop of color is so fun and I love how it contrasts with the front. I love how you can see the quilting so well and how the binding looks with both. I added another one of my Sweetwater tags.

Because I just couldn't resist here's another fun shot of the backing and the quilting. Isn't it lovely?! I love what she did with the stars especially. I'm so happy to have this on my bed in my new house! I only had one queen quilt on my bed before and any additional warmth came from layering twin quilts. They never quite did the job.
Quilt Stats:
Pattern - Star Surround by Melissa of Happy Quilting
Fabric - PB&J by Basic Gray for Moda
Thread - Pieced Aurifil 50wt
Quilting - Long Arm Quilted by Ellen of Handmade3D
Size - Queen - 96" square
Stash Report - 100% stash including fabric, thread, and batting!

This is one of two projects for me this week. Be sure to check out the Pixelated Heart mini too. Thanks for stopping by! I'm linking up with TGIFF and Finish It Up Friday.

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the finish! You did a wonderful job with this quilt. So nice to have a new quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an exciting finish! I love the fabrics, and the quilting really shows off the pattern. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's gorgeous!!! What a great finish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, let me tell you what a beautiful quilt this is! Second, would you mind sharing some information about your quilt label?

    Finally, thank you for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2016 global FAL hosts

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful finish, I love the fabric you used. Basic Grey is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Impressive quilt! Those colors are fabulous! The backing is a great contrast but actually works well with the floral on the front. Congrats on a beautiful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely gorgeous Julie! What an amazing finish! It must be great to be able to sleep under it after waiting for so long. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous finish, well worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You should be excited! it's awesome! I could see it on my bed...maybe I'll make one too..l.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks great - I love star quilts too!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!